Tuesday, 3 July 2012

Summer reading list for my 9 year old

Soon our local library will have their summer reading challenge and my DDs will want to take part.
It's a lovely event. They get a poster, a little card, stickers. They record what they read and can even write a short review of each book on their poster.
The only trouble is that the library hasn't got much to offer to #1 that matches both her reading abilities and her tastes. It's either books that are too young and easy for her, don't challenge or engage her. Or books about teenage sex, or worse a whole lot of vampires and teenage sex in the wake of the Twighlight series.

She is a big fan of Jacqueline Wilson (although she's not allowed to read all her books, some are definitely for older readers) but I would like her to discover other writers, other styles and stories.

So, I have been on Amazon, browsed and read lots of reviews until I had a wish list of 6 titles that I think #1 will like. I have also checked that our local library has access to all of them. Now I'll just have to reserve them, maybe two at a time, and hopefuly set #1 on her way to a great time of summer reads (as it's going to be raining all the time...)!

DD #1's summer reading list :

One classic : Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. It's one of my favourite books and I would like to share it with #1. Plus, as she wants to become a writer, I think she'll like Jo's story.

Love Ya Babe by Chris Higgins. The storyline sounds just a bit old for #1 (pursuing the school hearthorb - there isn't even a hearthrob in DDs' school! - is not really #1's world or at least I don't think!) but then Amazon rates it for 9-11 so I'm going to trust them!
And I think #1 will like the story of a new baby arriving in the family (she's a 3 times big sister after all).

The Secret Countess by Eva Ibbotson. I read one of Eva Ibbotson books once and liked her style. I also enjoy a bit of historical romance sometimes and think #1 might like it too in this version for younger readers.

The Girl with the Broken Wing by Heather Dyer. That one isn't actually available from the library but I might suggest that they acquire it. It's not always easy to choose books from only two lines about the plot and a couple of reviews. You just have to go with your feeling! Twins and an angel (maybe) are themes that should appeal to #1 and the readers reviews are really good.

 Ruby Holler by Sharon Creech. This story sounds different from what #1 usually chooses, with a retired couple who adopts two orphans and take them on an adventure. Well, it is one of the purposes of this reading list, to make #1 read different things, so let's go for it!

Flour Babies by Anne Fine. I think #1 has already read some of Anne Fine's book(s). In the list of her works lots of stories seemed very appealing. I chose this one because the story line made me want to know what happens in the book!

 http://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/3OTRQRVXKATHS

So that's #1's reading list. I will read the books too and blog about what we both have thought of them.

I would love to hear about other suggstions too !

10 comments:

  1. Great ideas, I will be checking some of these out. My 9 yo daughter is also an avid reader. But, unlike her friends, she doesn't like Jacqueline Wilson & gritty reality, so we are running out of ideas. Little Women is on my list. My daughter has just ploughed her way through nearly all the Arthur Ransome books - 'Swallows & Amazons' which she loves. She has also enjoyed a series called 'My story' diaries of young girls set at various points in History.

    I'm looking forward to hearing what you thought of the books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for these ideas Violetsdiary. I have heard of the 'Swallows and Amazons' series but I don't think DD1 ever read any.
    Lately I have bought her some of the Nancy Drew books, which I loved when I was her age. I hoped she would read my old books in French but she's not as much a confident reader in French as she is in English!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Little Women used to be one of my all time favourites (still is!) and I think its so much better for young females, as opposed to a certain Twilight series...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Has she read the Little House on the Prairie books?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not yet, no. I'm thinking maybe a well-loved-classics list for the autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You could try the Anne of Green Gables books, I loved them when I was about 10. My 8-year-old daughter likes Michael Morpurgo too, and his books range quite widely in difficulty from moderately easy to quite challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes I think she'd like the Anne of Green Gables books. I have been wondering about Michael Morpurgo... I guess she could always try !
    Thanks a lot for stopping by and sharing ideas !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I loved the Swallows & Amazons books. I had tons of ballet ones too.

    Have you read some of the younger Cornelia Funke books (more Dragonrider than Inkheart)?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've only read Inkheart, which is indeed a bit old for my daughter. Will have a look in other of her books!

    ReplyDelete