Friday, 12 October 2012

What to do when you're stuck on the sofa with a poorly child in your arms

Last week DB had a bout of high temperature that lasted for two days. The first day she was very tired and didn't want me to put her down, so I spent most of the day sitting on the sofa.Mainly she breastfed and slept, so she got plenty of fluids and rest, and by the evening she seemed to feel much better although her temperature was still creeping up when the effect of the Calpol wore off.

So I have amused myself at compulsing some ideas of what to do in such a situation :
 
 
- Drink tea.
Well, when else are you going to have such a stretch of inuterrupted time to enjoy a cuppa? Exactly!

- Eat cake.
Unfortunately I didn't have any that day but if I was that kind of girl I would always have a freshly baked cake, in a tin, ready for any situation that could arise, like a poorly child pinning you to the sofa. Something maybe like that Banana Caramel Loaf from the lovely Recipe Junkie (actually I should just convince her to provide me with lovely cakes...).

- Watch a movie.
It's very rare these days to have the time to watch a movie from start to finish. So I watched Coco Before Chanel. It was nice for a change to watch something in French too, although arguably it's not the most cheerful of movies. But it had a slow pace and aesthetic quality that suited the day.

- Read a book.
Like many I think I have finally come over to Kindle. No it's not like reading a real book, but when you spend a lot of time breastfeeding, or waiting at schools or preschools' gates, or supervising bathtime, or waiting by a bed that a child fall asleep, etc. Having the resource of taking your phone out and having something to read, it's quite nice, isn't it?
My last read was Me Before You by Jojo Moyes, treating of a difficult subject with much sensibility, avoiding the trap of falling into mere sensational.

- Write.
It's so easy to blog, tweet, write, on a phone, a tablet, a laptop/notebook.

- Shop.
Once again, so easy from any device connected to Internet. I just love browsing on Ebay and tick things to watch : virtual window shopping!

- Think.
And why not?

- Plan your holidays.
Although maybe for some things it might be dangerous to act in idleness! I nearly booked us there and then in this lovely Roman flat.Well, there might be an idea into it...

- Plan to redecorate your home.
I thought about what I could do in the dining room.

- Catch up with friends by email.
I must confess to have kept in touch mainly with friends who have an email address and to rarely write 'snail mail' letters... What about you?

Well, with Internet and all the social networks available the possibilities are almost limitless, aren't they? And a time of inaction can be very busy indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment