Thursday, 7 February 2013

Snap happy: My Pride and Joy


I hesitated before choosing today's subject for my picture...

I thought first of our London taxi but at this exact moment it's unfortunately more of a pain in the backside than our pride and joy...  What seemed like an easy thing to fix is taking gargantuan proportions and the fact is that we haven't been able to drive anywhere for weeks now...

I thought of our Phil and Ted buggy. Acquired when it was a rarity 8 years ago it was my pride and joy, but it's really a bit of a has-been nowadays and well passed its prime.

So here is my violin... I bought it in my early twenties. I was then working as a 'correspondant' for the local rag, the cheapest life form of journalist there is (I must have started being paid the equivalent of 1.2 p a line!!). I had very little money but plenty of time and energy. I took to sea kayaking, theatre, story telling and, after nearly 20 years of piano, violin. I first rented my instrument, then bought it. It wasn't really for sale but the guy from the music shop, who was a true music passionate, refused to sell me the basic study instrument I could buy with my budget. Instead he offered me to buy my rental, this simple but in my eyes absolutely beautiful violin from the early 20th century.

I played it then, 3 our 4 years, passed two grades. Then I stopped, had loads of children, and now that my youngest is nearly 18 months I've decided to bring back to life my beautiful, silent for too long, violin and restore it to being my Pride and Joy...

No comments:

Post a Comment