Friday, 8 March 2013

A splash of joy




We've had some lovely sunny days this past week. I took some pictures at the park and in the garden, thinking there could be a nice post in there for the Photo of the Week. But in the end I couldn't resist choosing the rainy day one!
I thought that this shot of DS, with his bright raincoat and dinosaur umbrella, was such a joyful sight on an otherwise grey and miserable morning.

I reflected how it's often like that with children. It's not only their clothes and accessories that are so much more jolly than adults' but it's their whole attitude to life. Their sheer delight in everything, whether it's the rain, wind or sunshine, a trip on the bus or in the plane.
Everything has the power to bring them joy, and to us too if we stop and look at them and see things like them.

 I remember a day out with DD1 and DD2. It was a sunny, lovely bank holiday. We couldn't use the car and we had decided to go by bus to a local museum, situated in a leisure park, out of the town centre. But DD1 didn't like it (the museum runs over a sort of huge basement where all the exhibits are and it's quite dark) so we ended up killing the time in a deserted and grubby coffee shop, the girls having claimed they were hungry, waiting for the bus back home.
And DD2, who must have been around 3, exclaimed "This is a nice holiday!" And it was from that moment on, and it's a lovely memory.

Now, have you noticed how there are more and more places that are "for adults only"? I see them when I book holidays or outings for us. Restaurants, hotels, campsites, etc. On one hand I am thinking 'fair enough', and if that means there are less chance for me to spend time with my children surrounded by stuck up old bags, so be it!
But on the other hand I think that it's sad really, that these people can only see children as a nuisance and deny themselves a splash of joy in the greyness...


ps. No offence meant if you like Adult Only places! I know I'm generalising here and you could have very good reasons to go to these places, it's just for the sake of the argument.



I'm linking up with Louise LLoyd's Photo of the Week.



18 comments:

  1. Even a grey day can be filled with happiness and colour x.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photo! And I wholeheartedly agree! The flash of colour and innocence children bring into settings is just adorable and should be encouraged :)

    Thank you for linking up with Photo of The Week X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed. Plus when restaurants or hotels have helpful staff and some things planned for children it goes much more smoothly and is more enjoyable both for parents and other people!

      Pleasure. x

      Delete
  3. You are so right, sunny is best for us adults but the kids are happy to play out and delight in all weathers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do, don't they? My two oldest (8 and 10) like nothing better than being under the reason with nothing on their head!

      Delete
  4. Lovely umbrella, and such a lovely post, we should definitely try to think along those lines more often :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, let's have more enthusiasm!

      Delete
  5. Fantastic shot of contrasts! My wee man does not let any weather stop him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) No, not much can stop them!

      Delete
  6. I bet he's so proud of his very own dinosaur umbrella! So grown up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is rather! I have too be careful not to forget it when I go and collect him from nursery school.

      Delete
  7. Such a lovely photo - seems like a peaceful walk! Happy Mother's Day! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the accessories. What a stylish young man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's entirely my children who have the stylish accessories and exciting social lives... ;)

      Delete
  9. Now. that brightens us a grey day x

    ReplyDelete