Tuesday, 5 March 2013

Far Breton and prunes memories...


This is one if my easy tea options : a vegetable soup and a Far Breton, plenty of nutrients and a sweet indulgence. Perfect! 

It's normally done with prunes. There always were prunes I'm my grand mother's house in Auch (the capital of Gers and home of Dartagnan). It went with this area of France, and the prunes were delicious, fresh, soft and juicy. When staying there we would have prunes and Armagnac ice cream (oh yes!), and a cake called Dame à l'Armagnac : a light génoise filled with a delicious prunes and Armagnac cream. The story of me dropping my slice of Dame à l'Armagnac on the floor one day is part of the family folklore! 
And around Christmas we had a delicious confiserie involving, if not prunes at least the shape of prunes, most certainly Armagnac and very possibly chocolate. I can't remember exactly what they were and couldn't find them on the Net but they might well have been something like this : 




But here in Hampshire I don't always have prunes in the house... So I do the Far with apples, raisins, banana, chunky chocolate chips or a mix! 
When asked by my daughters "What is it in English?" The closest I could come with was some sort of sweet Yorkshire pudding, with less flour and more eggs. But the consistency is close and the cooking also, with big chunks of butter placed on top of the mixture, forming pools of melted deliciousness surrounded by an amazingly raised pudding!

For 4 - 6 :
4 eggs
80g flour
60g cornflour
250g prunes
150g caster sugar
1/3 litre of milk
a pinch of salt
100g salted butter
1 tsp baking powder
vanilla

Soak the prunes in water for 2 hours (I rarely do that, if I do I rather soak them in rum or calvados!).
Generously butter an oven dish. Drain the prunes, remove the stones and place in the dish.
In a bowl mix the flour, cornflour, sugar, vanilla, baking powder, salt, eggs and milk. Pour onto the prunes and scatter on top the remaining butter in  slices.
Cook in the oven for 12mn at 280 (th.10), 12mn at 220 (7) and 12mn at 180 (5).
Serve warm.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment