Monday, 11 March 2013

Mothers' Day breakfast at Fawlty Towers...!


I don't know where it came from but DD1 and DD2 have this idea that a birthday or celebration day for me or DH consists mainly of them serving the recipiendaire breakfast in bed.

Of course we all know how that ends up : little people jumping on the bed and spilling/breaking as many things as possible, cold beverage/cooked breakfast (if that's the case), different debris and crumbs in your bed, sheets and covers to put in the washing machine...

Yesterday though DH convinced the Froggies junior that breakfast was best served on the table. So instead I had the 'treat' of a breakfast to hotel standards , DD2 being the waitress and DD1 the cook.

At 6.50 they were raring to go. DD2 kept coming in our bedroom while I was trying to sleep a bit longer, asking what I wanted for breakfast while DD1 was going ahead and toasting me a muffin anyway.

When I came downstairs, having given up hope to have a lie in, they had all but lost interest. Whatever I required from then on I was told I had to get myself and my muffin was cold.

So when DH said at some point "Welcome to Fawlty Towers" it was spot on : intrusive and rude staff, mediocre service and food, yes, that sums it up!

Bu hey! What a great memory! I will still laugh about it when I'm a hundred - if I make it - and I also got my lovely cards and cuddles full of love. What more could a mum ask ?!


I'm linking up with Sarah Miles' Monday Club

8 comments:

  1. Other highlights of the day were DS, 4, being absolutely confused and thinking it was my birthday, and a game of Just Dance on the Wii!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha love it! Their intentions were obviously there, even if their culinary skills were not upto much! It must all be very confusing for a 4 year old, us mummies getting fussed over all the time ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they did have good intentions. They're so sweet really...!

      Delete
  3. Ha! Yes my son said 'haven't you just had your birthday mummy?' Then i dragged them all off to watch some lambs being born in the bitter cold weather. There were tears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha!! I contemplated dragging them out but then couldn't be bothered, it was too cold for me!

      Delete
  4. Arrhh bless, I'm sure they probably thought they'd spoilt you thoroughly!
    Good idea being 'served' at the table rather than negotiating a tray. I remember my youngest bringing me a bowl (with milk) of her favourite cereal cocoa pops (not mine). It was so early and still dark and I ended up tipping the bowl and covering everything in chocolate milk yugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, sticky milk... Yes, I'm clumsy enough on my own, if the children are there as well it's just sure to finish in the biggest mess!

      Delete
  5. Sometimes these things are looked at more fondly after the event- it's definitely the thought that counts isn't it!

    ReplyDelete