Friday, 19 April 2013

Amour-en-cage

I was playing hide-and-seek with DS, crouching behind bushes, when I saw this 'Amour-en-cage' and thought it would be a nice subject for the Photo of the Week!

While looking for its English name (apparently groundcherry?), I discovered that it belongs to the family of tomatoes and is edible. The berries need to be ripe (they're toxic when green) and you can make jam out of them!

Here is the recipe :

For 3 jars
Groundcherry jam
1 lb of groundcherry berries
10 oz of caster sugar
1/2 a lemon

In a pan, mix the washed and drie off berries, the sugar and the grated lemon's peel.
Leave for 2 h at room temperature with no cover on.
Bring to a boil while stirring.
Simmer for 30 mn, still stirring and remove foam if needed.
Drain the berries and share equally between the sterilized jars.
Keep cooking the syrup until it thickens.
Pour on the fruits and close the jars.
Turn the jars upside down and leave to cool down.
Store in a cool and dark place.

Let me know if you try it!

Photo of the Week

12 comments:

  1. sounds so much better in french :) None around here which is a shame - I'd no idea you could make them into jam. Fab close up, looks so delicate, like very fine lace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently it's called different names but that one is quite sweet isn't it?
    Yes very delicate looking and yet surprisingly strong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a photo!! The detail is amazing...and it sounds sooooo much better in French than English!! Fantastic Photo of The Week!

    Thank you for linking up with Photo of The Week XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It does, doesn't it? But then it's one of its many names, maybe it's got a similar English one that I haven't found...!

      I'm always looking forward to the day of Photo odd the Week! xx

      Delete
  4. Wow, that is an amazing photo! I am sooooo jealous I didn't take it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an amazing photo, I've never seen one, or even heard of it. Fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember my mum telling me its name and it's always a joy when I see some!

      Delete
  6. Great photo, I've never heard of it but if I ever come across it I will try out your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I would love to know how it turns out!

      Delete