Monday, 29 April 2013

Culture shock





When we were in Paris last Summer we took our children to see the 'Theatre de Guignol' in the Parc des Buttes Chaumont.

They love Punch and Judy here and we thought it would be interesting to see his French version.

Interesting it certainly was. I remember watching Guignol as a child. There was a tv programme and I might even have seen it in the same parisian park, but of course I didn't remember anything of the stories. I was quite surprised, when rediscovering it, by its moral message... Where the Bogeyman takes Punch to Hell to make him drink cold tea and eat lumpy porridge for ever after, Guignol tricks the Devil to take the Gendarme in order to save his drunkard, thieving friend Gnafron !

My daughters didn't get it...!





10 comments:

  1. Yes, I love that cute and funny cartoon! Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Like Punch and Judy it's very humorous and a bit outrageous. It wasn't scary ( and the bit with the Devil was very short) but certainly morally arguable!!

      Delete
  3. Ha! I remember seeing countless things in France as a child - we went every summer - and, despite understanding at least the gist of what was being said, was completely baffled by the cultural differences. Great for them to get such variety though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom, that's interesting to hear the view of someone who's had this experience as a child. Baffled is the word! But I agree that it's great to know different cultures early on, they always have good marks at school on that topic ;)

      Delete
  4. I love the regional variations of the puppet shows, all of them with strong moral themes! Reminds me of the variations of St Nicholas. Here he is accompanied by quite the scariest looking beast I have ever seen - Krampus! Quite terrifying, but I bet he kept the children in line! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We unfortunately didn't think of going to a puppet show when we went to Munich with the children... Something we'll have to do next time!

      Delete
  5. How very interesting - never thought of another country having their own Punch and Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never thought of another country having their own Guignol before we came here! ;)

    ReplyDelete