Thursday, 9 May 2013

Morris Dancing



To celebrate their Diamond Jubilee year the Winchester Morris Men are touring Hampshire !

They were visiting our village this week and it coincided with the end of our girls' ballet class, so we all went to see them. The weather hadn't been great that day but the sun just showed itself for the dancing and the light was gorgeous.

I took several pictures and chose this one for the Photo of the Week. I, once again, played with the focus and colour and I quite like it - seen in a small enough format ;) !

If you want to check if the Winchester Morris Men will be performing near you, you can do so here

They will be in London with other groups on Saturday 18 May!


15 comments:

  1. What a fab photo! Morris men are such a weird and wonderful British tradition! I wonder who is inspired to become one, but grateful that some people do because they are so entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely an aspect of Great Britain that I will miss if we ever go back to France. Or maybe I could import it there... Hm...

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! I must say they have an amazing energy to do these dances.

      Delete
  3. This takes me back a bit, I've not seen Morris dancing for many years now. We live too far away for most of them to come I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't see Morris Dancing very often at all but it was a real treat to have them coming to our village :) According to their website Morris Men are everywhere in the UK, maybe there are some in Aberdeen?!

      Delete
  4. Great shot, we have some here in Godalming too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I wonder if they have different dances than the Winchester ones!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I can just imagine my son Morris Dancing when he's older!! ;)

      Delete
  6. That's a great shot, I'd love to see them in the flesh it looks like lots of fun and it's great to see the tradition being kept on. Hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is indeed lots of fun, as much for those watching as the performers!
    Have a good week end too! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a very clever photo! Morris dancing is hilarious according to our toddler Andrew when he saw some a few months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great shot, caught at a perfect moment! And really like what you've done with it, kind of spices up the Morris men :)

    ReplyDelete