Friday, 7 June 2013

Old Lady


I love old cars. They had so much more charm and personality than modern cars, in my opinion.

Anyway, I saw this one only this morning, on the car park of our doctors' surgery. Lots of cars kept by collectors are polished to an inch of their lives, reupholstered, they've had all the mechanic equivalent of botox (although with more success of looking like their younger, former selves!).

But this one just looked her age. The bodywork sported a rather dull, dark grey paint. There were signs of rust. The whole image and feeling was of shabbiness but not the chic kind !

But for all that this old lady looked delightfully charming. I could just imagine her owner just as old, having bought the car in their youth and thereafter grown old together.

How many objects in our lives, these days, have the resilience, or opportunity, to grow old and imperfect?!


9 comments:

  1. This is such a lovely post and a great photo. My husband will love this car when I show it to him later, thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment :) I'd be interested to hear if your husband knows what type of car it is?!

      Delete
  2. Such a lovely post! Thank you for keeping Photo of The Week alive with Beckie Fenton whilst I was away!

    I love this old car, and so true what you say about it having such character - I bet it could tell a story or two!?

    Looking forward to meeting you tomorrow too X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Louise, it could certainly tell some stories!

      I can't wait to meet again! xx

      Delete
  3. Beautiful old car, hoomum will love this x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely looking lady! Much prefer slightly shabby old cars with a bit of character, really not that interested in new ones. Love seeing vintage cars still out on the road. My dad took us to lots of car rallies in an old Lagonda when we were growing up. It was always breaking down! Still, some of his enthusiasm must have rubbed off on me x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes! We have an oldish London Taxi (a Farirway, about 14 years old). We love it but since this particular model has stopped working in London the parts are not manufactured anymore and the smallest repair is a bit of a nightmare!

      Delete
  5. That is a truly beautiful car, and your photo really has done it justice! (:

    ReplyDelete